Pannier Tank 9466 was built by Robert Stevenson’s Hawthorne Newcastle works in 1951, (works number 7617) to a GWR design. 9466 is one of only two surviving members of this class of loco. Introduced in 1947 for shunting suburban passenger’s trains and freight yard transfers, the Pannier Tanks were withdrawn in the mid 1960’s as the 350 horsepower diesel shunting locos replacing them and freight traffic declined.
9466 spent many years rotting in Barry Scrapyard alongside many other scrap steam locomotives.
Rescued in 1977, 9466 was lovingly restored at Quainton Road Railway Centre by a dedicated team of enthusiasts. Dennis B Howells, the owner, led the small team consisting of his father Brinley Howells and very close friend Graham Tyler.
Read more about the 9466: